Making Slemonade

Fall 2013

Fall 2013
The Best Medicine

Friday, April 15, 2011

Dear Harper

Dear Harper,

Today you turned one year old.

All children are miracles, but you are even more so. You and your sister almost didn't come to be. For 12 weeks, we waited, we wondered, we watched, we worried. It was completely out of our control, and that's a horrible feeling. But I felt you move around, literally doing somersaults, kicking me everywhere at once, and it was reassuring. You were having a great time in Mommy's tummy, and I smile when I think about you and Bayla touching each other through your membranes. When you were born, you were small, but you were a beautiful little baby. I loved you and was so proud of you from the very second I laid eyes on you.

You and your sister were soooooo worth it. You are my reward, Harper Jordan Slemons. For what? I don't know. I don't care. I just appreciate you. You are the sweetest, most laid-back, most thoughtful baby. You don't laugh easily (except at your sister), but when you do, it's the best sound. You are an observer. You like to study faces and situations, and your cuteness and sweet nature are so apparent to everyone.

I think in spite of your more reserved nature, you are going to have a lot to say, and it's going to be a hoot. I think you'll have a dry sense of humor like your Daddy, and I think you'll be a reader and a critic. You love music, and you happily rock to children's songs and my terrible rendition of "Shake Your Booty." I love to watch your typically even-mannered expressions break into smiles. Your eyes smile too.

I love your kisses-- you make the kissy sound, and you give me full-on open-mouth kisses. You'd rather be on the floor with your favorite toys than in my arms, which sometimes means you're overlooked in favor of your Tazmanian Devil of a brother or drama queen of a sister. But I always have my eye on you-- I just know I don't have to worry as much.

Your bright smile and gorgeous eyes melt my heart. I can't wait to see you walk, and talk, and learn to read, and discover the music that inspires you, and be who you are.

You are your sister share an unbelievably special bond, and I notice that you love to watch her. You two are a perfect fit, two peas in a pod, a winning pair. But more than anything, you are Harper, and I know that you will always be true to yourself.

I was meant to be your mama, and you were meant to be my youngest. Even though your name always comes last (I just do it chronologically), you are certainly not least. I love you beyond measure, and I always will.

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment