Making Slemonade

Fall 2013

Fall 2013
The Best Medicine

Monday, April 16, 2012

Dear Bayla, on your second birthday

Dear Bayla,

You're 2 years old! What an unbelievable 2 years this has been. Last year, I talked about how feisty you are. That trait has stuck around. You are truly a force of nature. You see what you want, and you take it. It's very Don Draper. I can respect that, except when you grab the desired object out of Harper's hands when she's quietly playing with it. Or when you knock down Brady's Legos so you can have the one you want. Or when you run away from me in pursuit of said object, are looking back at me to see where I am, and bang smack into the door frame. But mostly, I like your "World Be Damned" attitude.

You are still my snuggly bunny. You are always up for a good hug and kiss. You come to me when you need me, and you handle it when you don't. You wake up bright eyed and bushy tailed. You have a clear sense of fashion, and the cutest little tushie. You loooooooooooove your brother. You hear him from across the house, then scream his name and go looking for him. You absolutely adore Yo Gabba Gabba! You love to listen to Shabbat songs, and you help when I light the candles every Friday night. God help anyone who comes between you and your fruit snacks. And last night we discovered you can roll your tongue, so that's a fun new skill you've been trying out all day.

You have the best laugh -- it comes straight from your belly, and I just can't help but smile when you give a good giggle. You love to talk and make animal sounds. Your "waddle waddle" when you see a penguin will undoubtedly be one of my favorite memories of you when you're older. You love babies. I love to watch you go down to baby level, smile at them, and pat their heads.

Sometimes, in a quiet moment, I'll look at you, and I just can't believe my good fortune. I look at you and see my mom, for whom you are named. I don't think it's an accident that you, your sister, and your brother all have her eyes. It's so bittersweet to watch you grow and be your funny, feisty self and know that she's not around to experience it too. But I hope you'll take after her with kindness, caring, and compassion. I hope you'll find happiness but deal well with life's disappointments. I hope you will always be quintessentially Bayla, no matter where life takes you. Above all, I hope you'll always know how much Daddy and I love you, and how grateful we are that you came into this world and are ours. You are simply amazing.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment