Making Slemonade

Fall 2013

Fall 2013
The Best Medicine

Friday, April 9, 2010

Old wives' tales

We are in the final countdown. Six days to go until we meet our girls...if they wait that long.

So a big rainstorm blew threw Atlanta yesterday, and it poured for a while. Have you ever heard the old wives' tale that women go into labor during a storm? Ask any nurse and they'll tell you it's true, and I can just about corroborate it. When the weather turned yesterday, I started to bleed and contract. I went on the monitors for about 2 hours, and the babies were fine the whole time. But during that 2 hours, the weather cleared, and things smoothed out for me and have been fine ever since. You can correlate the rain going away with my contractions stopping-- and I'm not kidding. It wasn't nearly as scary as the last time I bled, mostly because they're in a much safer place. And probably because I am READY to get the hell out of here. (My water broke 11 weeks ago today.)

But I had an ultrasound this morning and everything looked great. Because I am so close to delivering, any strange goings-on will almost certainly result in me delivering these babies. Strange goings-on could include more bleeding, bad monitoring sessions, etc. I'd like to hold out til Thursday, but we shall see.

I'm not sleeping well, and I'm starting to get very nervous about the surgery and what's in store for the girls. But Shawn and I are SO ready to know what the next stage will be like, and how the girls are doing. We fully expect them to be in the NICU for awhile, but no one knows how long that will be, and they won't even know when they're born. We'll be continuing to play everything by ear, but at least we'll know what we're dealing with. And of course, we'll get to hold and love our baby girls.

So I have one more ultrasound on Tuesday, which is also my last day of work before maternity leave, then it will be go time. More updates soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment