Making Slemonade

Fall 2013

Fall 2013
The Best Medicine

Friday, March 12, 2010

29 weeks, 1 day!

We've made it another week! And what a week it's been. In addition to Tuesday's drama, we had another scare yesterday. During my morning monitoring, the babies' heart rates were pretty flat. They were strong and within normal limits (in the 150's for both babies), but there wasn't a lot of fluctuation as there should be with 29-wk fetuses. My medical team is being overcautious these days-- the farther we get into this pregnancy and the bigger the babies, the more they're paying attention.

So I went down for an ultrasound to check this out. By the time I got down there, Baby B was being her usual kicky, twisty self, but Baby A was being much more quiet. She did eventually do everything she was supposed to do, including practicing breathing and moving around, but it took a while to get there. The doctor said that everything looked okay and he wasn't prepared to do anything, but he did put me back on the monitors for much of the afternoon, then for 2 hrs last night. The babies looked great on the monitors.

So I went back this morning for my usual ultrasound (appointment kept out of caution), and both babies were active. Baby B is in some kind of contorted position with her head in the middle of my ribcage, and her tush kind of down in my side. Can't be comfy. Baby A remains the same. We watched her hiccup during the ultrasound. Then I came back up and went on the monitor, and both babies did what they were supposed to do.

I discussed all this with my regular perinatologist, and he said that it's possible the babies were sleeping yesterday while being monitored. Who knows? I told him that I'm really getting anxious again, that I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. And this week feels like the shoe is starting to drop. He told me to take things day by day, that every day I'm pregnant means 3 less days for the babies in the NICU. I said I wanted to make it to 32 weeks. He said to not get too wrapped up in how many weeks I am. Then he said, and I quote, "You are far beyond what I would have considered a tremendously successful pregnancy." While I'm proud of my immune system and uterus, I'm also kinda wondering just HOW bad this whole thing was. They would never give us stats or chances because everyone is so different, and after hearing my doc say that sentence, I'm glad we didn't know. I mean, gheesh!

Some days I think, "I'm making it to 34 weeks no problem." And some days I think, "There's no way I'm making it to 30 weeks." Every day I think, "It sucks that I have no control over this." And so we wait to see what happens, wondering when these girls are going to enter the world, and thinking that we have lots of fodder for guilt when they're obnoxious, dramatic teenagers. :)

More updates soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment