Making Slemonade

Fall 2013

Fall 2013
The Best Medicine

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A little bit of drama

I'm 28 weeks, 5 days! Today started out at 7:20 with a finger poke and slightly high blood sugar readings. After a quick and unsatisfying breakfast, I was whisked downstairs for my Tuesday ultrasound. Everything looked great. Both girls were active and healthy. Baby A now measures 28 weeks, 3 days, and Baby B is measuring 28 weeks even. Both weigh about 2 lbs, 13 oz. This means that in 2 weeks time, Baby A has gained about 8 oz, and Baby B might have gained 12 oz., or her measurements were slightly off last time. Bottom line is that their weight is good, and once they get over 3 lbs, they have an ever greater chance of good health. We're very close,and this is all great news.

So I got back from the ultrasound and was put on the contraction monitor and baby monitors as I am twice a day everyday. Except today, Baby A's heart rate kept dropping then coming back up. It happened enough for them to be concerned, so the doctor was called. Then Baby B started doing some funky stuff, then they both stabilized. THEN, I started contracting. I wasn't feeling anything, but there were some definite contractions showing up. Then the team kicked into action. Blood was drawn, and IV was inserted, and I was started on some fluids. Things smoothed out pretty quickly, but I was kept on the contraction monitors for several more hours and the IV fluids until this evening. I still have the IV in just in case, but let's hope I won't need it. It's not very comfortable.

This was all very scary. Sometimes, the universe sends you signals. This signal was, "Hey, Becky! Quit complaining about being in there and deal with it. The girls are still too small to come." The past few days have been very difficult for me. I missed my niece's birthday party on Saturday, and I missed Brady's birthday party on Sunday. I cried pretty much all day Sunday because I was missing that very special day, although from all the photos and video, I don't think Brady missed me very much. :)

But I'm tired of being in here, and I'm tired of being poked all the time (I'm now up to 4 shots of insulin a day, plus 4 blood sugar checks. But you'll be happy to know that as soon as I deliver, all of that will stop. I will then ask for a Cherry Coke immediately.). Although I want 2 healthy baby girls, I also want to be home with my husband and child and dog, and I want my privacy and life back. Until this little bit of drama, I was very ready for them to come whenever, but this shocked me back into reality. Still, 32 weeks is sounding REALLY good. That's 84 more shots and 84 more finger pricks, by the way. But we shall see. This really isn't up to me.

Anyway, I'll keep you apprised of the situation. Assuming nothing happens before then, we'll have another ultrasound Friday. More updates soon!

2 comments: