Making Slemonade

Fall 2013

Fall 2013
The Best Medicine

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Saturday, Feb. 13: Too, too sweet

We had an ultrasound yesterday, and everything still looks good. The girls are active, blood flow is good, and while the fluid level is low on Baby A as expected, both girls seem happy and healthy for this stage of pregnancy.

This morning I had my 3-hr glucose screen, and boy did I fail miserably. If you're going to do it, I guess you gotta do it big, right? I had a feeling this would be the result and probably could have saved myself 4 vials of blood, but so it goes. So now that I've been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, we'll be cutting back on carbs and sugar and closely monitoring my blood sugar levels. Pretty awesome. (I want to send a big shout-out to my fellow gestational diabetic Amanda Dobbs for bringing me some sugar-free candy. It's pretty good, actually.) This condition should go away once the girls are born, so I look forward to eating cake at some point.

Speaking of cake, yesterday was my nephew Ben's first birthday, and I was Skyped in for most of his party today. Technology is amazing. I felt like I was more or less there, and even if I had been, I couldn't have had the cake and ice cream anyway!

So everything is still status quo, thank goodness. More updates soon!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you failed the test but glad to hear you'll be well monitored at the hospital. Regular finger pricks do get old but one of the side effects of GD could be good for you - larger than average babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a brief note to let you know I am thinking of you, all
    Love, Kathy(Jenn's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, enjoy the protein -- you'll never be reasonably allowed to eat so much cheese again. :)

    ReplyDelete